The sheer volume and complexity of data processed every hour by companies worldwide has driven the migration from on-premises servers to cloud-based alternatives. Cloud computing offers advantages that legacy data warehousing measures cannot.
WHAT ARE CLOUD SERVICES?
Cloud services are demand-based computing solutions to storage and compute needs. Cloud services has grown to include the derivative services related to the support of cloud-based measures.
Cloud computing entails the delivery of a variety of cloud services, such as SaaS, Iaas, and PaaS, over the internet. The growth and popularity of cloud services is largely due to their myriad merits.
BENEFITS OF CLOUD SERVICES
Data stored and analyzed in the cloud offers many advantages over traditional on-premise data storage:
- Cost -- flexible pricing structures help companies avoid paying for cloud services they don't use, and the cost of system upgrades is eliminated. Additionally, all the other benefits that follow lead to cost-saving practices
- Speed -- cloud-based storage enables easy access to proprietary data from anywhere. The rate at which information can be shared increases efficiency of collaboration. Development time is reduced through the cloud
- Scale -- the limitless nature of the cloud enables almost instantaneous ability to scale up, down, or out
- Security -- cloud hosts specialize in security. On-premise security issues generally fall on an in-house IT departments that are likely overstretched or limited in security expertise. Cloud computing also positions companies to reduce single-point-of-failure risks and improve disater recovery processes (database replication and failover)
- Performance and Reliability -- a multi-cloud approach all but guarantees the problems experienced when a server crashes are minimized or eliminated. Processing speed is optimized, and regular backups are painless and unobtrusive. Additionally, with cloud services all data workloads are managed on one platform.
SNOWFLAKE AND CLOUD SERVICES
Cloud data platforms have become cost-efficient, high performance calling cards for any business that leverages big data. Snowflake's platform and data warehouse in the cloud bundle a variety of cloud services for secure and easy management and access to data.