Snowflake Unveils New Performance Innovations and Enhanced Cross-Cloud Capabilities for Industry-Leading Data Platform
Nov 07, 2022
- With new transparent performance advancements across its single elastic engine, Snowflake is now faster, and continues to improve economics for customers
- Companies including Anthology, DoorDash, Observe Inc., Western Union, and more are gaining more value, for less cost, when they leverage Snowflake as their leading data platform
- Snowflake’s Snowgrid technology enables customers to easily operate at global scale with enhancements across cross-cloud collaboration, cross-cloud data governance, and cross-cloud business continuity
No-Headquarters/BOZEMAN, Mont. – November 7, 2022 – Snowflake (NYSE: SNOW), the Data Cloud company, today announced at its Snowday 2022 event, the final San Francisco stop on its Data Cloud World Tour, new innovations to Snowflake’s industry-leading data platform that will further drive economic value for customers. With new transparent performance enhancements across its single engine, Snowflake is now faster, further improving how customers mobilize their data to run their most important workloads. Snowflake is also advancing its cross-cloud Snowgrid capability, a technology layer that interconnects clouds and regions, and powers Snowflake’s collaboration, data governance, and business continuity. These new improvements to Snowgrid enable customers to further streamline collaboration with richer experiences and privacy preserving controls, automate data protections, and expand the scope of replication for seamless failover.
Customer-Centricity Fuels Performance Advancements for Organizations
Snowflake is and always has been a customer-first organization, and is committed to continuous innovations that improve performance, reduce latencies, and advance economics for customers. With regular improvements to its single elastic performance engine that accelerate common queries, replication speeds, new use cases, and more, customers automatically gain more value for each credit, without having to take action. Snowflake’s latest improvements continue this trend of performance enhancements, and provide new visibility into the impact of performance optimizations. Improvements include:
- Faster Queries: With Query Acceleration Service (public preview), Snowflake will accelerate outsized queries by providing a burst of additional resources without needing to scale up overall compute. Customers also get improved query efficiency with join elimination (generally available), alongside multiple improvements to Search Optimization for faster searches and point lookups.
- Cost Optimization: With new account usage details, customers can more easily run cost-benefit analysis of services for Auto-Clustering and Search Optimization. Specifically, customers will be able to determine the magnitude and impact of data loads or modifications on tables through new history views (private preview), and lower costs with Search Optimization now supporting column selection (public preview) for data optimized for searches. Additionally, customers can now analyze long-running and time consuming queries more easily, and identify and resolve performance problems before they impact the end user through programmatic access to query metrics (private preview).
“DoorDash has continued its growth in terms of product innovation and geographical distribution over the last few years. With this growth our data volumes have exploded. We are collecting new data points, ideating and experimenting on new business ideas, and generating new insights,” said Vaibhav Jajoo, Head of Data Engineering & BI, DoorDash. “We were looking for a scalable data infra partner who can scale and grow with our growth. Snowflake has turned out to be that partner for us. Snowflake has been able to work with us to scale to our data needs, and address our complex business requirements.”
Snowflake Enhances Cross-Cloud Snowgrid Capability
As organizations continue to scale their data needs, working with various teams, regions, and clouds across the globe is imperative. Snowgrid empowers these organizations with one seamless and connected experience across globally distributed teams and businesses to deliver results faster, unify governance to comply with regulations, and easily replicate more than just data for increased business continuity.
Snowflake is advancing cross-cloud collaboration to provide customers with increased flexibility when sharing data listings. Providers can share listings publicly or privately with global business ecosystems. Providers can also choose to make their data automatically available and actionable for consumers across supported regions and clouds. New enhancements include:
- Listings for Private Sharing: New listing discovery controls (public preview) deliver fine-grain controls for providers to list data privately, making it easier to share and collaborate internally and externally while preserving privacy. Providers can customize listings and offer usage-based pricing, while consumers get more visibility into listings with usage and query examples, as well as categorizations.
- Streamlined Access to Data Shared Cross-Cloud: Using cross-cloud auto-fulfillment (public preview), providers can make data immediately accessible and up-to-date for consumers, without manual intervention.
- Richer Usage Analytics: Providers now have access to robust programmatic and visualized insights (public preview) to better understand how listings are accessed and used, in turn helping them deliver improved offerings and customer experiences.
Cross-Cloud Data Governance
Snowflake’s cross-cloud data governance simplifies governance at scale, helping organizations comply with international regulations and have unified visibility across their data ecosystem. Building on Snowflake’s extensive set of native data governance capabilities already available, new improvements include:
- Automated Data Protections: Tag-based masking (generally available) can automatically assign a designated policy to sensitive columns using tags, further strengthening data protection and simplifying policy change management at scale.
- Accelerated Searches on Masked Data: Search Optimization now supports tables with masking and row access policies (private preview), so customers can take full advantage of Snowflake’s performance while maintaining privacy and compliance.
Cross-Cloud Business Continuity
To further simplify global operations, Snowflake enables customers to replicate data and more across clouds and regions, unlocking greater levels of resiliency and ensuring minimal business disruptions in the event of a disaster. New advancements include:
- Seamless Pipeline Failover: In addition to replicating accounts, databases, policies, and metadata in Snowflake, customers can now replicate Streams and Tasks (public preview), so data pipelines can seamlessly work on secondary Snowflake accounts.
- Streamlined Configurations: Customers will be able to easily set up, manage, and failover account replication through an intuitive UI (private preview), including the ability to streamline configurations for sources, destinations, replication objects, and replication intervals.
“Our success is predicated on our customers being successful when using Snowflake, which is why we continually strive to deliver improved performance and economic value for customers,” said Christian Kleinerman, Senior Vice President of Product, Snowflake. “With one single product, we can innovate faster, and deliver improvements that enable our customers with a unified experience across clouds and regions, so they can protect their data at cloud scale, operate more efficiently, and collaborate globally in new ways to further mobilize their data.”
Snowflake also announced new innovations that further disrupt application development with the Data Cloud, enhancements to its extensive partner ecosystem, and more at Snowday 2022.
- Dive into how Snowflake customers including AMN Healthcare, Autodesk, Bagel Brands, and more are driving increased value, while lowering costs with Snowflake.
- View the Snowday 2022 keynotes and the What’s New: Cross-Cloud Snowgrid session live or on-demand, here.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains express and implied forward-looking statements, including statements regarding (i) Snowflake’s business strategy, (ii) Snowflake’s products, services, and technology offerings, including those that are under development or not generally available, (iii) market growth, trends, and competitive considerations, and (iv) the integration, interoperability, and availability of Snowflake’s products with and on third-party platforms. These forward-looking statements are subject to a number of risks, uncertainties and assumptions, including those described under the heading “Risk Factors” and elsewhere in the Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q and the Annual Reports on Form 10-K that Snowflake files with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In light of these risks, uncertainties, and assumptions, actual results could differ materially and adversely from those anticipated or implied in the forward-looking statements. As a result, you should not rely on any forward-looking statements as predictions of future events.
© 2022 Snowflake Inc. All rights reserved. Snowflake, the Snowflake logo, and all other Snowflake product, feature and service names mentioned herein are registered trademarks or trademarks of Snowflake Inc. in the United States and other countries. All other brand names or logos mentioned or used herein are for identification purposes only and may be the trademarks of their respective holder(s). Snowflake may not be associated with, or be sponsored or endorsed by, any such holder(s).
Snowflake enables every organization to mobilize their data with Snowflake’s Data Cloud. Customers use the Data Cloud to unite siloed data, discover and securely share data, and execute diverse analytic workloads. Wherever data or users live, Snowflake delivers a single data experience that spans multiple clouds and geographies. Thousands of customers across many industries, including 510 of the 2022 Forbes Global 2000 (G2K) as of July 31, 2022, use Snowflake Data Cloud to power their businesses. Learn more at snowflake.com.
Product PR Lead, Snowflake