S&P Global: Marketplace Hackathon
The COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent economic lockdown has had a serious impact on firms across the world.
The COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent economic lockdown have impacted firms around the world. Many executives of publicly traded firms have devoted time from the company’s earnings calls to discuss the impact and ways that firms are handling new challenges. Some firms have amended the ‘Risk Disclosures’ and ‘Management Discussions & Analysis (MD&A)’ sections of their regulatory filings, as well.
The challenge – help us answer the following question:
Across which dimensions do companies vary with respect to their COVID-19 responses? How can we categorize companies by those dimensions?
To answer this question, please provide:
- Sample code developed in Python or R that pulls the relevant data into your model and assigns clusters for the constituents in the S&P 500. Accompanying the code, please include an evaluation that showcases relevant metrics and provides a critical inspection of your results.
- A one-paragraph summary of your approach and findings. Please emphasize the actionable insights you derived. How can the ‘non-data science’ community interpret your results?
- Include two (2) visualizations of the data to show clustering behavior for the S&P 500 constituents (or a subset).
For the challenge, you will have access to the following datasets:
- S&P Capital IQ Fundamentals
- S&P Capital IQ Estimates
- Machine Readable Transcripts
- Machine Readable Filings
- Key Developments
- Alpha Factor Library
Register for the S&P Global Marketplace Hackathon: https://pages.marketintelligence.spglobal.com/Marketplace-Hackathon.html
About the Provider:
S&P Global Market Intelligence understands the importance of accurate, deep and insightful information. The company integrates financial and industry data, research and news into tools that help track performance, generate alpha, identify investment ideas, perform valuations and assess credit risk. Investment professionals, government agencies, corporations and universities around the world use this essential intelligence to make business and financial decisions with conviction.
S&P Global Market Intelligence is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), the world’s foremost provider of credit ratings, benchmarks and analytics in the global capital and commodity markets, offering ESG solutions, deep data and insights on critical business factors. S&P Global has been providing essential intelligence that unlocks opportunity, fosters growth and accelerates progress for more than 160 years.
Get access to the S&P Global: Marketplace Hackathon Dataset in Snowflake
Already a Snowflake customer?
Access this dataset directly from your Snowflake account